Actions to raise the status of women in astronomy
There are many ways in which you can help improve the status of women in astronomy, simply by supporting the women around you, recognising their achievements, and telling other people about it. Why not nominate your excellent female colleagues for an award? Encourage and support your female colleagues for promotion. Think about your female colleagues when next asked who should be on that important senior position in astronomy. There are many unconscious biases again women in astronomy, so try to be aware of them.
On this page we aim to include a list of actions that you can take to help raise the status of women in astronomy and improve the environment for all astronomers.
- Family friendly policies (a list of “best practice” in family friendly policies that you might like to lobby for at your home institute)
- Letters of recommendation (ensuring your letters are not gender-biased)
- Jobs for women (some fellowships designed to attract more women to institutes)
- How Men can Help Women Succeed in Astronomy (compiled by members of the AAS’s CSWA)
- Download this factsheet on unconscious bias, prepared by the Chapter